Wednesday, August 13, 2008

10-year-old boy alleges 10 hours of torture by cops

10-year-old boy alleges 10 hours of torture by cops
by Humayun

IPOH (Aug 12, 2008) : A 10-year-old school has alleged that Kampar police tortured him for about 10 hours last Wednesday after he was accused of committing theft by his teacher.

N. Logeswaran’s father Nagarajan, 51, lodged a police report last Friday on behalf of his son who accused the police of subjecting him to physical torture and trauma.

Nagarajan said his son was handcuffed to his back and police choked him, hung him upside down during interrogation.

Logeswaran was also threatened and terrorised with a parang and a gun held by policemen if he did not admit stealing the teacher's belongings. His legs were also bound and had his head banged against the wall, resulting in large swell on the back of his head.

He also alleged police attempted to burn his private parts with a lighted plastic covering but his son managed to wriggle away and the burning plastic drippings burned his right foot.

Logeswaran was released after his mother P. Santhi posted a RM500 police bail and will face a charge in the Kampar magistrate 's court at 8.30am on Sept 9.

Logeswaran's ordeal started when his school teacher N.Kristina,of SRK Kampar went to his house last Tuesday and complained to Santhi that her son had stolen RM700, her identity card, driving licence and other documents from her.

Kristina then checked Logeswaran’s pockets and his school bag but did not find her belongings.
The following day, at about 12.30pm, Logeswaran was picked up by police in his school and taken to the Kampar police station for interrogation.

Santhi rushed to the police station but she was not allowed to see her son as the interrogation was in progress.

She heard her son crying out in pain and after 10 hours of interrogation, Logeswaran was released at 10.30pm.

Logeswaran complained of severe pain on the back of his head which was swollen and he started to vomitting.

The next day, Nagarajan then took his son to the Kampar Hospital where the doctor told Nagarajan to get a police request for a medical examination Form 59, as this was a police case and only then will the hospital conduct the medical examination of his son.

However, the doctor told Nagarajan that his son had suffered head injuries and had to see a specialist in Ipoh Hospital for further evaluation of his head injuries.

Logeswaran was warded in Ipoh Hospital for two days and then discharged.

Today, Logeswaran and his parents together with Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) central committee member Dr Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj and other PSM members were in the state police headquarters to hand over a memorandum to CPO DCP Datuk Zulkifli Abdullah, urging him to take action against the Kampar police personnel who allegedly tortured Logeswaran.

Logeswaran's lawyer G. Balasunderam, 50, said the Penal Code under Section 82 states: "Nothing is an offence which is done by a child under 10 years of age." Logeswaran is only nine years and 10 months old.

Balasunderam said under the Child Act 2001, a child suspect should be under the supervision of a welfare officer when interrogated by police.

He is giving the police 14 days to respond to the memorandum and punish the culprits, failing which legal action will be instituted against Kampar police and SRK Kampar.

Updated: 06:41PM Tue, 12 Aug 2008

seals: Malaysia Boleh

No comments: