Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Bukit Antarabangsa Tragedy Aftermath: Hotel stay for the homeless

KUALA LUMPUR: Those left homeless by the landslide in Bukit Antarabangsa will be provided with accommodation at hotels.

International Trade and Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who visited the site yesterday, said temporary lodging would be provided to ensure no residents remained at the unsafe area.

"The government will put them up at a hotel if there are no relatives or friends they can live with. This way, they won't feel helpless and worry about where they can go."

Asked if the affected residents would be compensated, he said the government had not considered it yet.

"We have not even thought about it yet. The important thing is to save lives. Compensation is a secondary issue. What's important is that there is no recurrence of this tragedy. We have to ensure measures are taken."

When it was pointed out to him that the government had given the same assurances in the aftermath of similar tragedies previously with nothing concrete ever emerging, Muhyiddin said he did not want to debate the issue.

"Let's not argue about it here. "This is something the government has to look at very seriously.

"The prime minister and deputy prime minister have visited the place and instructions have gone out on what should and shouldn't be done. I hope these instructions are adhered to."

Ampang Barisan Nasional chairman Datuk Ismail Kijo said a fund had been set up for the victims.
Donations have already started pouring in, with Ampang, Pandan and Gombak BN contributing RM10,000 each. Muhyiddin pledged RM30,000 as well.

The money, Ismail said, would be used to help affected residents with their children's school fees, as well as to provide relief to those with trouble keeping up with their house payments.

"We will form a committee to handle the fund, which we are calling the Bukit Antarabangsa Disaster Fund. We will open an account to deposit the money and RTM will air information on the fund and how donations can be made."

Ampang BN has also organised 20 taxis free-of-charge to facilitate the evacuations of residents.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/2423584/Article/index_html

seals: Someone preparing for some elections? Wah...can the people expect the same "hotel" treatment and UMNO CASH collection(http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/NewsBreak/20081208191915/Article/index_html) for the other landslides in poor peoples area and flood victims? Why they did not do the same for the Gombak landslide?

No comments: